Are you starting an online business or not?
We all have things or activities that interest us. We might even choose to write about it online. This can be done with a simple, inexpensive (completely free in some cases) blog. There are many options. You are then free to express your unique thought or creativity to your heart’s content, without any concern for profitability.
That does not mean, however, that your blog will automatically — even with good traffic — produce the affiliate marketing income that you desire.
If it does produce your desirable income — great!
If not, consider a slightly different approach to selecting your online business niche.
Why not ACT like you’re starting a business?
If you really want to start a business, act like it. So rather than selecting a niche that is solely your hobby or passion, first consider products and services that you consider exceptional.
Here is how I would start:
- Consider all the products and/or services that YOU purchase and really enjoy and appreciate.
- Consider all the products and/or services that YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY purchase and really enjoy and appreciate.
- Once those products and services are listed, consider which ones you could create a niche around and also write about with strong conviction.
- You should then have a list of products and services that you could sell with conviction and are not merely good, but exceptional.
- From that list, pick a niche that would support the sale of one or more of those products.
You are now ready to go!
Here is an example of how it might work.
I am not much of an outdoorsman, but do engage in outdoor activities. I had a long hike coming up with a youth group from our church and did not have the proper footwear. So, I asked my son-in-law, who is an avid outdoorsman, to give me a recommendation.
He ranted and raved about Keen boots. He also said that while they are a bit more expensive, they are a great boot. So…on his recommendation, I purchased some Keen boots for my long hike.
I suffered a lot during this hike due to my poor physical conditioning, but my feet were great. In fact, probably the only part of me that did not suffer in one way or another.
When I returned home, I found myself wearing the boots often for doing anything outdoors, as they felt like slippers. In fact, they are now my most comfortable footwear.
So what if I created a niche about outdoor footwear for hikers, fishermen and/or vacation travelers? I would have proven products to sell and plenty of related content.
That is how it works.
I could speak in a similar way about Apple products. I am a real fan. Imagine the niches I might consider in speaking to my convictions about their products.
Good luck. Hope this proves helpful. Niche ideas are everywhere.
Please share you comments and opinions below.