My coursework today involved using a process to strengthen website content. The following is a suggested checklist that will help to improve content:
- Use an interesting and captivating headline. Be careful with humor or a play on words. Dishonesty in your headlines will turn off the reader right away.
- Write your content in shorter paragraphs. Use white space to separate those paragraphs.
- Separate your sub-topics and/or ideas with larger, bolder headings.
- Type your content in black or dark gray text on a white or light background.
- Write in a conversational style. Just ‘tell the story’ like you are speaking with a friend.
- Use a relevant image in the first fold of the page.
- There are varied views on the recommended length of content. Be mindful of your competitors. Will matching or differing from the length of their content give you an advantage?
- Don’t wait for perfection to publish your content. You will be waiting forever. Having someone edit your content ALWAYS helps.